FALSE: DO NOT SHARE
The virus’ pH means that you can stop it from spreading by eating alkaline foods
A virus does not have a pH. There is no known treatment at this time.
This claim has already been factchecked by the Associated Press. Dr Sarah Stanley, Associate Professor of Infectious Diseases and Vaccinology at the University of California, Berkeley School of Public Health, told the AP that “A virus itself does not have a pH”, “pH is something that applies to a water based solution, which a virus is not”, and “there is no evidence that consuming alkaline foods specifically is beneficial”.
Additionally, Dr Donald W. Schaffner, Extension Specialist in Food Science at Rutgers University, told the AP the “pH values for these foods are completely wrong”.
The World Health Organisation (WHO) currently says that “at this time, there are no specific vaccines or treatments for COVID-19. However, there are many ongoing clinical trials evaluating potential treatments. WHO will continue to provide updated information as soon as clinical findings become available.”
WHO also recommends the following basic protective measures:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water, or clean them with alcohol-based hand rub.
- Maintain at least 1 metre distance between you and people coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your face.
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing.
- Stay home if you feel unwell.
- Refrain from smoking and other activities that weaken the lungs.
- Practice physical distancing by avoiding unnecessary travel and staying away from large groups of people.
Origins of Claim
FULL TEXT OF CLAIM
Translation from Spanish
Just letting everyone know that the pH of the corona virus varies from 5.5 to 8.5.
All we need to do to stop the corona virus spreading is to eat more alkaline foods which have higher pH levels than the virus.
Some of which are:
Lemon – 9.9pH
Lime – 8.2pH
Avocado – 15.6pH
Garlic – 13.2pH
Mango – 8.7pH
Tangerine – 8.5pH
Pineapple – 12.7pH
Dandelion – 22.7pH
Orange – 9.2pH
Do not keep this information just for yourself. Pass it on to all your family and friends.